- March 27, 2019 - March 28, 2019
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
The Rocky View County Fire Service is hosting a Local FireSmart Representative Workshop in Cochrane, AB on March 27 and 28 at the Cochrane RancheHouse.
- There is no fee to attend the workshop
- The workshop is limited to 40 participants
- Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation to attend the workshop
- Lunch will be provided on both days of the workshop
- Participants are encouraged to register by March 25, 2019
Fire response and land or municipal managers familiar with wildland/urban interface (WUI) issues and FireSmart principles that wish to implement the FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program (FCCRP) in their jurisdiction by serving as Local FireSmart Representatives (LFR`s) are the primary target audience.
- Wildland fire management agency / Municipal fire department staff/ Indigenous community fire department staff
- Emergency Management agency staff
- Rural or urban planners or managers
- Office of the Fire Commissioner/Fire Marshal agency staff
- WUI specialists (e.g. RPF’s, RFT’s, other land specialists with wildland fire responsibilities)
This workshop has been developed to assist community leaders and fire professionals to become familiar with and implement all components of the FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program. The training provided in this two-day workshop will also equip you – the Local FireSmart Representative ‑ with an understanding of current wildland/urban interface concepts and wildfire hazard assessments, with tools and skills to recruit and motivate volunteer community leaders, and mentoring abilities to work with self-organized groups of citizens as they plan and implement wildfire mitigations in their own neighbourhoods.
This workshop has been developed by the Partners in Protection Association ‑ an association of municipal, provincial/territorial and federal agencies, organizations and individuals dedicated to reducing the risk of wildfire losses in Canada’s wildland/urban interface areas.
In 1999 Partners in Protection published a comprehensive manual ‑ FireSmart: Protecting Your Community from Wildfire and has been on the leading edge of interface fire protection in Canada ever since. The FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program is the second major component of the FireSmart Canada Initiative being promoted by the Association, and has been developed for presentation across Canada.
Local FireSmart Representatives are the key facilitators of the FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program. They are the primary catalyst for achieving its greater goal of motivating and engaging citizens to plan and take action towards reducing wildfire losses. The FCCRP is “grassroots”, and especially effective on private land in the wildland/urban interface, beyond the reach of agency-driven wildfire hazard mitigation programs on public lands.
Venue Phone: 403-851-2561
Venue Website: https://cochraneranchehouse.ca/Address:
Town of Cochrane
101 RancheHouse Road