Become a FireSmart Community
How can my community become a Recognized FireSmart Community?
Becoming FireSmart takes time and coordination with your neighbours and others, but getting started is actually quite straightforward.
Following these steps, your community will be on its way toward becoming FireSmart.
- Contact FireSmart – A community representative (you or another interested member of your community) phones FireSmart Canada at 780-435-7338 or completes an on-line request for contact by the Local FireSmart Representative on the FireSmart Canada website – www.firesmartcanada.ca
- Site Visit – Your Local FireSmart Representative, a specialist in wildland/urban interface (WUI) fire, will visit your area and assess wildfire hazards.
- Community Representation – At the same time, your Community Champion (again, this could be you) recruits others from your community to create a FireSmart Board which will include other homeowners and fire professionals and possibly land managers, planners and members of other interest groups.
- Assessment & Evaluation – The Local FireSmart Representative completes the wildfire hazard assessment and evaluation of the community’s wildfire readiness and schedules a meeting with your local FireSmart Board to present the assessment for review and acceptance by the Board.
- Moving Forward/Creating A Plan – Your local FireSmart Board develops a FireSmart Community Plan (a set of solutions to its WUI fire issues based on the Local FireSmart Representative’s report). All members of the FireSmart Board must concur with the final plan which is presented to and approved by the provincial/territorial FireSmart Liaison. The Local FireSmart Representative may work with your community to seek project implementation funds if needed.
- Implement Solutions – Solutions from your FireSmart Community Plan are implemented following a schedule designed by your FireSmart Board, who will be responsible for maintaining the program into the future.
- Apply for Recognition – FireSmart Community recognition status is achieved after your community submits its application form along with a completed FireSmart Community Plan and FireSmart Event documentation to your Local FireSmart Representative. Use the on-line form available on the FireSmart Canada website – www.firesmartcanada.ca
- Renewing Your Recognition Status – Annual renewal of your recognition is completed by submitting documentation of your community’s continued participation to the provincial/territorial FireSmart Liaison. Use the on-line form available on the FireSmart Canada website – www.firesmartcanada.ca